Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cody's 2nd Filly born



One Night With Doc (Patricia)is a mare I raised out of a Flynn's Gayson ofaDoc mare Flynn's LiL Tejon I bought in foal to Doc At Night some years back. I always wanted a Doc At Night baby and was thrilled with this little filly, I was hoping for a black like her daddy but was happy she was so darn cute. She is my little fire ball, way to expressive for her own good, the top sports model I had been praying for, in my twenties and early thirties. You know the saying? Be careful for what you wish for, Well she is so expressive she is the first horse I ever sent out to be started. I traded Molly, one of my ROP students from a few years back for work done on a horse she was starting to show and needed some finish work done. Molly said the filly started fine, no real blow ups or anything but was quick and grab assy. I rode her three time and she was good, Molly had done a nice job. I stopped riding her with all the chaos my life went through that year and before I knew it my little supper star was coming three with only a few months on her.


She wasn't the kind of horse you wanted to ride with no one else around so I waited until I had someone here. We restarted her, this time putting her on the sheep to keep her focus. I could tell right away she was something else and knew I need to kept thing slow. She can be unnerving at first but she has this soft spot that is amazing to feel. Feeling bad that I let this horse fall behind but with my dad passing away I just didn't have it to give so I bred her to my Stallion Smart N Expressive (Cody) I put some more miles on her with every ride I knew I would keep this horse and finish her out as a older horse, she is the kind that would have tried to hard and blown out if pushed and so taking my time was the best for her anyways. She wants my attention and would brake out of her 30acre pasture all the time, my trouble maker, at first I thought she just wanted to tease my stallion but after breeding her I realized it was to get my attention. If I didn't do something with her for a week or so she would brake out, running around in all her glory. One time she took out my drip line and tie fifty feet of drip line into a knot and somehow managed to get it on herself like a harness. Every time I would catch her, there would be that soft spot again, you can feel her try even leading her, it's amazing, riding her is like flying.


I lost China's Fancy Boy to colic the other night and was waiting for the rendering truck when I remember Patricia was due to foal soon and I needed to check her. Yes, she had wax, she wasn't very big but she looked ready so I brought her in the barn. With staying up all night with Big Boy I was beat and needed to sleep, I would get up early to check on her. The next morning no baby so I put her out in the big pasture with the other mares.


That evening when I went to go put her in the barn I notice Sabrina had a babies by her side only Sabrina wasn't in foal. She had stolen Patricia's baby. I caught Sabrina and took her out of the pasture and when I got back Tejon had two babies nursing on her and Patricia standing off in to the side. Well If Patricia is rejecting it at least the filly's grandma will nurse her, I just have to get it to nurse Patricia's first milk. I pushed the baby over to Patricia and she liked it and let it nurse. She is really good and careful with her little filly. I have to go teach a clinic so I leave her out in the big pasture.



After my clinic I went out in the pasture to make sure everything was fine, it was dark and it took me awhile to find them, both mare are bay but I see white a big white shape, as I proach I see my paint mare I have adopted had broke into this pasture. She was two pasture over when I left but everything was fine both mare had their babies so I took BW and put her in the barn. Man, every mare wants this baby!



This morning Tejon had stolen Patricia's baby again and Patricia came running screaming up to me until I pushed her baby back over to her. Tejon wanted that baby and would try to keep it so I tied her up for a while and let Patricia have some alone time. Both mares are out in the pasture now with there babies at their sides. Not sure what to name her yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment