Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day Four: Now that Happy seemed to be handling the saddle, I was going to saddle him in the barn today. I decided to tie him in a stall and go in and brush and pet him throughout the day in the hopes he would calm to me approaching him and touching him. He was defensive today. When I would touch somewhere he didn't like he would put his ears back at me quick and then they would come forward just as fast. Happy is one of those colts where there ears are always going. He even bumped me with his mouth, as to bit. He hit me pretty hard without opening his mouth so I punched him in the muzzle and to my amazement he just look at me like, Ya Ok, I deserved that. I hate when they try to take a bit out of me and they are tied in a stall and freak out and pull back but rude is rude and I won't put up with that for a second, might as well explain this right off the bat and thankfully Happy understood. I finished brushing him for good measure and left him tied. When I saddle him about an hour later he still rounded his back so I left him there for a bit more, before leading him out to the round pen. As he came through the gate he hooked a stirrup and scared himself so we had to come through the gate a few more time until he would just walk through again. He lunged very nicely today but still tried to leap out from under the saddle when I went to take it off. It was a long day so I put him in his stall.

No comments:

Post a Comment