Thursday, March 25, 2010

Working Cow Horse on a Budget part two:



So excited with my new livestock I put them in the round pen to work and quickly realized I didn't know what the heck I was doing. They were much faster than the cows, I had been taking lessons with. My horse was loosing confidence fast. I took a moment, rethinking how to make this work for me. I looked at the wild sheep more like the buffalo I had worked in the past.
I put one sheep in the round pen. I watched the sheep nervously pace the fence back and fourth trying to get back with the other two sheep. The sheep did not need any more pressure at this point. I put my horse in the pen and stay on the far other side away from the sheep. At first the sheep would try to jump out and crash into the fence, there herding instinct is very strong, but they are so small no harm is done to the sheep or my fencing, they just bounce off. Keeping my horse way off the sheep, I school my horse by following the sheep back and fourth, backing and turning my horse as the sheep paces. It was much like working a fag but I didn't need another person to run it for me:0)


The sheep are much smaller than a cow and can turn around in the same place they are standing, this creates a problem in keeping the mirror image of the sheep with my horse, much more backing is required. Keeping things slow, I turn my horse whenever the sheep turns and then I back my horse back into position. After a while the sheep do settle and then I could start tracking them around the pen more like a cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment