Wednesday, March 31, 2010



Day Twelve: I saddle and take Happy to the round pen. I put the snaffle on, tie the reins up on the horn and let him run a bit. With over reactive colts like this one I make sure not to tie there head around to the side of the saddle yet, before long lining them because they are so reactive and quick they think they know what I want and will turn in circles tangling the line every time I try to turn them. I have to pull a little harder than I would like to turn them but it’s a good trade off. Happy has learn to give his head down and straight back so when I ask for a turn he does just that and keeps on going straight chin to chest. I have to pull him into the panel pretty hard a few time before he get the idea and start to turn willingly. Most of my lessons last only about thirty minutes or so on young horses, depending on their attitude that day. If they need worked to pay attention I work them but if they are really trying, I give back and make a short day. I really don’t want to make them so fit it take forever to get there attention. Happy learned his first driving lesson in twenty minute so I put him away. I am happy with Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment