Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day Three...

Day three: Today I work Happy in the round pen, for it had finally dried enough. The weather was beautiful and felt like spring and Happy was full of it. He's the kind of colt that runs first and thinks later so I let him run until he followed me around the pen. Today he decided he really didn't want the saddle on by leaping away from it every time I tried to put it on. I thought my arm was going to fall off but finally he stood steady for me to saddle. I cinched him up and he rounded his back but just stood there with eye wide looking at me. Happy was not happy about his new job and was quite irritated with the whole thing today. Waiting a few minutes until his eyes softened, then I tried to send him around the pen, today he decided that he wasn't going anywhere and just looked at me refusing to move. I pressed on and thought he was going to come undone but he didn't, he trotted off, stopping a few times with his butt tucked and then walked off. Happy is excepting the saddle but still has a hard time with me touching him, flinching every time I reach out to pat him. He is ultra sensitive and doesn't like to be brushed or patted, he is very curious and he is kinda warming up to being scratched under his mane every now and then. Today took longer then the first two day but still ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment